Healthy Brownies with Caramel Sauce
A healthy chocolate treat with an indulgent yet guilt free warm caramel sauce to serve.
Recipe is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar.
Note: This recipe makes a small batch, to make a large batch simply double ingredients.
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Makes: Approx. 12
1 cup steamed, mashed sweet potato
4 tbsp (80ml) coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or natural sweetener of choice)
1 cup MyOrganics almond meal
1/4 cup MyOrganics raw cacao powder
1 tsp organic vanilla powder (or extract)
1/3 cup MyOrganics chopped macadamias (optional)
1/4 cup MyOrganics goji berries or inca berries (optional)
3/4 cup MyOrganics dates, pitted
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1. Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 170°C.
2. Steam peeled sweet potato. Drain well.
3. In a mixing bowl combine sweet potato with coconut oil and rice malt syrup and mix well.
4. Add almond meal, cacao powder and vanilla powder and mix to combine well.
5. Fold through macadamias and goji berries or inca berries.
6. Spoon batter into a small lined slice tin and spread out with back of a spoon. Bake in oven for 12 -15 minutes or until cooked.
7. Allow to cool and cut into squares.
8. Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce. In a high powdered blender or food processor blend dates with coconut milk until smooth and creamy.
9. Serve brownies with warmed caramel sauce.
• Recipe makes a small batch. Double for extra brownies.
• Add extra melted coconut oil to the caramel sauce for a thinner or thicker consistency.
• Adjust sweetness to liking by adding a touch extra natural sweetener or reducing.
This recipe was developed for MyOrganics by Brisbane nutritionist and recipe developer Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish.